Pod Point powers on
It has been a busy year for Pod Point, a company Panoramic backed in June 2018. As a provider of electric vehicle charging points, Pod Point believes ‘travel shouldn’t damage the earth’ and is incredibly passionate about developing the infrastructure needed to enable mass adoption of electric vehicles. To date, Pod Point has sold over 60,000 electric chargers in the UK and Norway, and their app, Open Point, has been downloaded over 70,000 times.
The number of electric vehicles is set to increase sharply over the next decade with estimates predicting over 11 million electric vehicles on the road by 2030, and Pod Point is exceptionally well placed to support this growing and important market.
Notable achievements for the company in the last year are:
Pod Point strikes deal with Tesco and VW
The Tesco and Volkswagen partnership, a sponsored-based business model which is the first of its kind for electric charging, will see 2,400 universal charging points installed at 600 Tesco stores (Tesco Extra stores and Superstores) across the UK. Excitingly, this means that Pod Point will be powering the UK’s largest retail Electric Vehicle network, and achieves a 14% increase in the number of public charging bays. The deal represents a huge leap forward for the UK and is a significant step forward for Pod Point.
Legal and General invest in Pod Point
Global asset manager Legal and General made their investment through their Future Cities business, which seeks to make investments that help create sustainable communities with good employment opportunities, high-quality and varied housing in a digitally-connected and clean environment. Legal and General believes electrically charged vehicles will be an integral part of delivering that clean environment and also transforming the UK’s transport systems.
Through this deal Legal and General takes a 13% stake in the business and will provide capital that will support Pod Point’s strategic expansion and accelerate the growth of the company as it continues to help UK drivers adopt clean transportation. Lastly, Legal and General will deploy Pod Point charging points across their expansive real estate and home portfolio, thus making charging points even more accessible to the public.
- A two-year partnership with Kia that will see Pod Point install all home charging units for Kia’s UK customers;
- A deal with Peppes Pizzas, based in Scandinavia, to provide charging points for its 600 strong fleet;
- A 3-year preferred supplier deal with Mitsubishi Motors that will require Pod Point to install charging units for their consumer and fleet customers across the UK;
- Being voted as one of the top 3 public charging networks by the UK general public; and
- Being one of the first electric vehicle charge point suppliers to offer 150kw rapid chargers in the UK (3 x the power of the average UK charger).
For more information about Pod Point, please go to www.pod-point.co.uk